Sunday was a great start to the conference. The International Oracle Users Group (IOUG) had a large number of technically focused presentations that were delivered by IOUG recognized leaders in different areas of technology. There were technical presentations ranging from Oracle Database 11g New Features (my presentation), RAC, ASM, Oracle Application Server, Security, Oracle Fusion Middleware, etc. all focusing on best practices.
The IOUG has always emphasized best practices. It was great to see the IOUG get recognized for leadership in the technology side of Oracle.
The agenda for the week is one of the best I’ve every seen at an Oracle conference. Some things that stand out to me at the conference include:
– Great layout of technical presentations focusing on Oracle Database 11g.
– Large emphasis on Oracle Fusion Middleware.
– Strong focus on Enterprise Web 2.0 technologies.
– Oracle Applications seem to be everywhere.
– Great evening events with Billy Joel, Stevie Nicks and Fleetwood Mac.
– New Unconference activities.
– Open World Connect allows networking with other conference attendees. A great way to bring people together. This is a new level of networking at conferences which includes the opportunity to start your own blog.
Attendees had a choice of getting a flash drive with the conference technical presentations or getting a hard copy book. I liked being give that choice. I prefered the flashdrive. I’m slowly making a move off of hard copy materials and moving everything to a wiki or web sites. With Enterprise Web 2.0 growing in momentum we are all going to need to make the move to more electronic materials.
The energy of this conference is going to be the start of a lot of momentum that I believe you will see continued through out the year.
George J. Trujillo, Jr. – IOUG Board of Directors